Survey

This section contains Industry neighborhood survey results. This information was gathered from Industry residents who responded to a paper survey passed out by Ball State students. The survey was dropped off on residents front doors. Residents were asked to fill out the survey and leave it in the same spot they found it, on the date indicated on the survey. Students then picked up the completed surveys from residents doors.

The survey asked residents a series of 10 questions about living in Industry, which are listed below. The completed surveys were gathered and their answers were compiled. Then, charts were created to summarize residents answers. These surveys were used to help students better understand the needs in the neighborhood. The survey questions were as follows:

How long have you lived in Industry?

This graph represents the number of years residents  have lived in  the Industry Neighborhood based on the surveys we collected. The data shows that  31% of the residents have lived in the neighborhood for more than 40 years and 17% have lived in the neighborhood for 31-40 years. The data also shows that 22% of the residents have lived in the neighborhood less than 5  years. The information shows that the majority of the people living in the neighborhood are lifelong residents.

Figure 1

Do you own or rent the place where you live?

This chart represents the percent of those residents who rent compared to those who own their home. The data shows that 50% of residents are home owners and 50% are renters.

Figure 2

How many of your neighbors do you know?

This chart represents the percentages of how well the residents of Industry know their neighbors. The data shows that 52% of residents know either all (26%) or most (26%) of their neighbors. It also shows that only 5% of the residents know none of their neighbors.

Q3

Figure 3

How safe do you feel in Industry?

This chart represents the different levels of safety that the residents feel while living in Industry.  The data shows that the majority of the residents, 46% feel very safe living in Industry and 11% feel extremely safe. Only 9% feel slightly save and 34% feel moderately safe.

Q4

Figure 4

Which of the following best describes your current occupation?

This graph represents the percentages of the different occupations of residents who live in Industry. This data shows that 51% of the residents who responded are retired. The next highest percentage is the Other category at 11%. The “Other” category includes occupations like Hairdressing, Military, Clinical Secretary, Welding/Fabrication, Tree Trimming, Car Detailing, Railroad, Volunteering.

Q5

Figure 5

What would you like to see improved or added to Industry?

This graph represents the percentages of the different improvements the residents would like to see  happening in the neighborhood. The data shows that a majority of the residents, 16% would like to see vacant homes improved and filled, followed by lighting (13%), housing conditions (11%), and businesses (11%).

Q6

Figure 6

Do you like living in Industry?

This chart represents the percentages of whether or not residents enjoy living in the Industry neighborhood. The data shows that 97% said yes and the other 3% said no.

Figure 7

Do you feel like your daily needs are met within Industry?

This chart represents the percentages of those who feel that there daily needs are being met within the Industry neighborhood. Daily needs meaning access to any resources they would need to accomplish daily activities such as grocery shopping, home maintenance, lawn-care, childcare, etc. The data shows that 77% said yes, 23% said no.

Figure 8

How do you usually travel around Muncie?

This chart represents the percentages of the different  ways people travel throughout the city. The data shows that 62% of the respondents travel by personal car, motorcycle or moped and another 15% travel by using the MITS bus, 12% travel by walking, and 8% travel by bicycle. While the primary mode of transportation in Industry is by motor vehicle a high percentage of residents are utilizing alternate modes of transportation; because of this it is imperative that the streets and sidewalks be in good condition to meet the needs of all users.

Q9_Transportation Use Chart

Figure 9

Do you feel like Industry is heading in the right direction?

This chart represents the opinions of the residents towards the current progress of Industry. The data shows that the majority of residents, 80% feel that it is heading in the right direction. However, 20% of respondents do not feel that Industry is headed in the right direction.

Figure 10

 

 

Advertisements